Meet the Owner
The firm is owned and actively managed by Tom Bowman. As a small business owner himself, Tom understands the tax and accounting needs of the small business owner.
In 1987, after ten years of tax, accounting and business experience, Tom decided to establish his own firm. Armed only with a marketing brochure (self designed and tacky by all accounts), his past experience, and the confidence that he could continue to serve the needs of the small business owner (translation: no clients, no money), he left the comfort of a large CPA firm and set out to build his own business. At the time, Tom had two small kids, a mortgage, other debt and no money. Tom's wife Linda did not work outside the home. Obtaining a bank loan proved to be a pipe dream. The conversation with the banker went something like this: "So let me get this straight… You are going to quit your job where you were on track to become a partner, you have no clients, you have no money, you have no collateral, you have debts from two prior businesses and your business plan is to walk the streets of Howard County and cold call small businesses and you want us to lend you money?"
Needless to say, he didn't get the loan. He did, however, hatch another plan. "How about if I take a month or so to gather up all the credit card offers I get, fill them out and drop them in the mail box all on the same day!" That plan worked and Tom had over $100,000 in credit card lines from 10-15 different banks. The first year he fed and housed his family by juggling the lines so as to keep interest and cash advance fees to about 2%. The business broke even that first year but Tom had accumulated close to $50,000 in debt. He trudged along, walked more streets, made more calls and by the end of the second year, the debt was gone and he was well on his way to a successful business. Tom does not recommend this financing strategy to his small business clients. Since then, he has been successful in his own pursuit while at the same time contributing to the success of his small business clients.
On the personal side, Tom and his wife Linda have been residents of Howard County since 1983. Tom is originally from the Cleveland, Ohio area and maintains dual loyalty to the Cleveland Browns and Baltimore Ravens. Outside interests include basketball, running, working out, Orioles, Ravens tailgating and Maryland basketball. Tom's two daughters are teachers in the Howard County School System and his son is currently working with Tom at Bowman & Company. Tom's wife Linda also works for the Howard County School System.
Accomplishments and activities include the following:
- SBA Accountant Advocate of the year 2011
- SBA Accountant Advocate of the Year 2000/2001
- Professional Association of Small Business Accountants (PASBA) Accounting Firm of the Year 2007
- Professional Association of Small Business Accountants (PASBA) Spirit Award 2010 (Lifetime Achievement)
- Maryland Small Business Week Awards Treasurer and Committee Member 2001-present
- Howard County Business Club Member 1995-present Past President and Treasurer
- American Heart Association Past Walk Chair Person and Board Member
- American Heart Association Top 3 Walker Club 1999-present
- PASBA-Major author/contributor to a seven manual program entitled Blueprint for Success
- PASBA-Blueprint for Success University-Developed program and teaches 2 day sessions at the semi-annual national conferences to other small business accountants
- Howard County Small Business Development Center-Past lecturer on “1st Steps to Starting Your Small Business”
- Raised 3 great kids (Ok, I had some help.) (Well ok, a lot of help.)